Thursday, August 28, 2014

Very High Max Heart Rate


Interested in what can be learned, if anything from monitoring my HR during runs.

I am 61 years old, 73.5kg 179cm / 162lbs 5' 10.5", running about two 5k sessions a week for the last year until a tennis injury knocked me off my feet (torn gastrocnemius and 2 fractures on front of shin).

My resting heart rate is between 50 and 59 depending on how much sleep and stress level.  For the last 10 years I have been using 188 as my max HR based on a conconi treadmill test estimation.

Before the injury my maximum exercise HR was usually between 170 to 178:

 Before Injury: Max exercise HR of 170 during weekly 5k run

Today I started running again again (1k walk, 1k run, 2k walk, 1k run, 0.5k cool down walk) and noticed that my HR was up higher than previously seen.  It was a bit hotter today at 95 deg. F, but I drank continuously and felt very good during and after the run.


Two and half months later:  Maximum exercise HR of 183 and 186 during 1k intervals

I was thinking that I was running my 5k at around 90% of my maxHR, but today's run would seem to indicate that my MaxHR is actually much higher for me to be able to run at 186 for these intervals.

Anything else I can learn from these data?